About this policy
The website www.Partsales.com (the site) is operated by carsales.com limited (ACN 074 444 018) (Partsales).
This policy sets out how Partsales collects, uses and discloses your personal information.
By accessing or using the site or Partsales' services you agree to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in the manner described in this policy.
Partsales and privacy
Partsales is bound by the Privacy Act (1988).
What personal information is collected?
Partsales collects personal information to assist it and its related bodies corporate to conduct their activities and provide the range of services they offer.
Personal information collected by Partsales may include:
- identification details, which may include name, address, email address, phone number, birth date, gender, security questions and answers;
- limited credit card information;
- user id's and passwords;
- services provided to you, including saved items and searches;
- information submitted in placing a listing of an item on the site, for example item details and pricing;
- information about the devices on which you visit Partsales;
- information about your activities on the site such as bidding, buying and selling activities, forum messages or ratings you post or reply to, messages you send through Partsales to other members and correspondence you send to us (Partsales communication services);
- third party account details (for example where you sign in through a social network or where you make any payment using Braintree or PayPal);
- social profile information;
- records and content of communications with Partsales or any other person including records and content using any functionality made available by Partsales including but not limited to any forums, comments or ratings functions. Please note that such records and content may be stored and scanned by Partsales.
How is personal information collected?
Partsales collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you when you provide information directly to Partsales in person, by phone or in writing (whether electronic or otherwise) for example when you create a listing of an item on the site or when you enquire about an item on the site;
- directly from you when you communicate with Partsales or any other person using Partsales communications systems;
- from third parties such as:
- Partsales related companies;
- resellers of Partsales services and service providers to Partsales;
- operators of linked or served web sites, applications and advertising on the site;
- social networks where you choose to share that information when creating an account;
- from 3rd party data providers who have been directed by you to send us information on your behalf;
- through use of Partsales proprietary software in which personal information is stored;
- from organisations identified or described under the heading "how is personal information disclosed"
How is personal information used?
Your personal information may be used for the following purposes:
- to maintain appropriate business records;
- to research, develop, improve and use within Partsales products and services;
- to pre-populate / customise / provide shortcuts on our websites;
- to conduct surveys to determine use and satisfaction with Partsales services;
- to generate statistics in relation to the site;
- for the purposes of feedback, reviews and ratings;
- to send you newsletters, promote and market special offers and other services to you (if you do not want to receive these, please let us know by clicking here);
- for purposes connected with the operation of the site including to help ensure safe trading on the site, verify account authenticity, send invoices, facilitate payments, resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems;
- for staff training and quality assurance; and
- to personalise the site experience and / or the advertising you see when you visit the site.
How is personal information disclosed?
Partsales may disclose personal information to individuals and organisations other than Partsales. The organisations to which we may disclose personal information include:
- Partsales staff and Partsales' related bodies corporate and their staff;
- the public if you advertise with Partsales or use publicly available Partsales communications systems;
- individuals and organisations that advertise with Partsales if you submit an enquiry or seek certain services through Partsales if you do not want Partsales to disclose your personal information to these individuals and organisations, you should not submit an enquiry.
- trading partners (users of the site with whom you have completed a transaction) note: users you have completed a transaction with can request to exchange contact details with you (name, address and phone numbers);
- outsourced service providers who assist Partsales to provide its services including:
- information technology providers;
- marketing and market research advisers; and
- professional advisers.
- entities to whom you request we send your information;
- resellers of Partsales services;
- organisations involved in a sale/transfer of Partsales assets, business or shares;
- to assist government or regulatory authorities or police;
- a rights owner or their legal representatives where intellectual property infringement is alleged;
- as we are required by law, for example pursuant to a subpoena or in accordance with unclaimed money legislation.
Maintaining personal information quality
Partsales strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date records. To facilitate this, please let us know if any of your details change. You may update certain personal information through your user account (if you have one) or click here to contact us by email.
How to access your personal information
You generally have a right to access your personal information, subject to a few exceptions provided by law. If you wish to access your personal information please click here or on the "contact us" page. Please remember to provide as much detail as you can as this will help us to find the information. There is no charge for this service, however you may be required to verify your identity before any information is released to you.
About security and personal information and credit card information
Transfer of personal information outside of Australia
Dealing with Partsales anonymously
You may deal with Partsales anonymously by using a pseudonym, unless Partsales is required or authorised by law to deal only with an identified person, or it is impracticable for us to respond to you if you have not identified yourself.
What if you don't provide personal information?
If you choose not to provide personal information when requested, Partsales may not be able to provide you with the full range of Partsales services.
Partsales, linked sites and personal information
When you visit a website or use an application on the site, Partsales records anonymous information such as ip address, time, date, referring url, and other referral information, device information and location, carrier, site interactions such as your access to website features, pages accessed, content, searching activities, lead submission, and files accessed and downloaded, type of browser and operating system.
Such information collected by Partsales may be linked to other information Partsales holds about a user, compiling a complete profile about Partsales users' browsing activities on the site.
Partsales uses "cookies" and other methods to collect and store the information set out above. A cookie is a small file that stays on your computer until, depending on whether it is a sessional or persistent cookie, you turn your computer off or it expires (this may be as little as 30 days or up 2 years, or longer in some cases). Cookies may be used by Partsales or by service providers engaged by Partsales to provide you with the full range of services it offers, remember your preferences, remember the sites you visit on the site, measure and analyse usage of the site and for security. Persistent cookies may be used to identify the sites you visit on the site and to personalise the advertising that you see when you make future visits to the site or other sites. You may adjust your internet browser settings to disable cookies. If cookies are disabled Partsales may not be able to provide you with the full range of Partsales services.
Partsales uses Nielsen/Netratings web analytics tools to measure and analyse internet usage across the site. This service helps us measure and respond to our online consumers. The data collected does not identify a user personally.
Partsales, linked sites and personal information
If you have a problem, complaint, want to change your personal information or just wish to enquire about privacy please contact us.
Location: level 4, 449 Punt Road, Richmond Vic 3121
Postal address: locked bag 9001, Richmond Vic 3121
Phone: +61 (03) 9093 8600 (business hours est)
Contact: Nicole Birman
Partsales treats complaints relating to privacy extremely seriously. If you submit a concern or complaint, we will endeavour to deal with it comprehensively and reach an outcome with which all parties are satisfied. If you would like further information about privacy in Australia, please review the office of the Australian Information Commissioner's website.
How this policy changes
This policy may change over time. All changes will be published on this website.
(Version 1, February 2016)